How to root Huawei P20 Pro and install TWRP Recovery
Last month Huawei launched its latest flagship smartphones to the market, Huawei P20 and Huawei P20 Pro. The main highlighted feature of the phone its three Leica camera sensors setup on the back side, 40-megapixel (RGB) + 8-megapixel (telephoto) + 20-megapixel (monochrome). It has a 24-megapixel camera on the front side for selfies and video calls. The phone is packed with huge battery inside the body and runs on Android 8.Oreo operating system.
The Huawei P20 Pro comes with 6.1-inch AMOLED display with 1080 x 2240 pixels of resolution and offers 18.7:9 aspect ratio. The phone is powered by Dual Quad-Core Hisilicon Kirin 970 processor under the hood along with Mali-G72 MP12 GPU. It has 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB internal storage, there is no micro SD card slot on board.
Android users have been seen more often searching for tips and tutorial to unlock its hidden features but only few can get that. However, rooting for an Android device is something that users with little technical knowledge can avail root privilege on their device. Here I have listed down step by step guide to Root Huawei P20 Pro and Install TWRP Recovery that enables the path to install the available custom ROM and other apps that requires root access.
The official TWRP for the Huawei P20 Pro has not released yet and without Boot image file, it is not possible to root the Huawei P20 Pro. But now, the XDA Senior Member LastStandingDroid has released patched ramdisk image for the P20 Pro. The patched ramdisk image will allow CLT-L29 model number users to root Huawei P20 Pro smartphone.
This method was tested on a Huawei P20 Pro demo unit by XDA Senior Member LastStandingDroid and confirmed that Magisk is working on it. The XDA member also mentions that he will release a patched boot image for the Huawei P20 Pro, soon.
- Make sure your device charged up to 70%.
- Make sure your device bootloader is unlocked. To Unlock Bootloader, follow this link.
- This tutorial is only for Huawei P20 Pro CLT-L29 model number phone. Don’t try it on others models.
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your device.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and Fastboot.
- Make sure you have installed proper drivers on your PC or Laptop for the Huawei P20 Pro.
- Enable your device USB debugging and OEM unlock.
- Open Settings> About device> Software info on your Huawei P20 Pro.
- Now scroll to Build number and tap it 7 times.
- After tapping the Build Number 7 times, you will see a message “You are now a developer!” or “Developer mode has been enabled”.
- Download Magisk for Huawei P20 Pro
How to root Huawei P20 Pro and install Magisk
- Download Magisk Ramdisk img (CLT-L29-MAGISK.img) file from the download section for the Huawei P20 Pro.
- Now transfer it into the ADB and Fastboot folder.
- Now open the Command prompt in ADB and Fastboot folder by the press and hold the shift key and click the right button of the mouse.
- Connect your device to PC or Laptop via USB cable.
- Write the following command to boot your device into Bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, write the following command.
- If you see the alphanumeric number with fastboot beside, then your device is connected successfully.
- write the following command.
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk twrp.img
- After flashing complete, write the following command to reboot your device.
That’s it. You have successfully root Huawei P20 Pro and install Magisk. Unfortunately, There is no TWRP Recovery available for the phone yet. But we will update the article, once TWRP released for the Huawei P20 Pro.
Source – XDA