[How to] Root Galaxy S9/S9 Plus, Install TWRP and Fix OEM Unlock [Exynos]
Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus are the two newest members of the Galaxy family featuring the best camera and upgraded hardware under the hood. If you have already owned the new Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus, and still want to leverage all of its hidden features to the most, rooting is the way to achieve it. And to root Galaxy S9/S9 Plus, you also need to install TWRP custom recovery firmware that helps in enabling root access on your Galaxy 9 smartphone. A working root method is finally available for the Exynos variants of the S9 duo including SM-G960F/FD/F-DS/N] and SM-G965F/FD/N].
As we all know, rooting comes with some predefined steps to follow to avoid any misconfiguration or device breakage, we at Androidtek suggest you read all the steps before start making changes. That way you can ensure whether you have all the pre-requisites and other required software or components ready to root it.
And we should also thank XDA developer dr.ketan who has come up with a patch that retains the OEM unlock option even after flashing a custom recovery.
If you have the Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus with the model number matching the below, then only proceed ahead else you might end up breaking your phone. The method described below is only meant for the Exynos variant of the Galaxy S9 [SM-G960F/FD/F-DS/N] and S9 Plus [SM-G965F/FD/N] .
Enable USB debugging and OEM unlock from the Developer options.
- Open Settings> About device> Software info on your Samsung Galaxy phone or tablet.
- Now scroll to Build number and tap it 7 times.
- After tapping the Build Number 7 times, you will see a message “You are now a developer!” or “Developer mode has been enabled”.
- Make sure the latest Samsung USB Drivers are installed on your PC.
- External microSD card or USB OTG.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 50% battery left.
Download Files to Root Galaxy S9/S9 Plus
- TWRP recovery for Samsung Galaxy S9: twrp-3.2.1-1-starlte.img.tar
- TWRP recovery for Samsung Galaxy S9+: twrp-3.2.1-1-star2lte.img.tar
- DM Verity disabler: no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0-star.zip
- Magisk: Magisk-v16.0(1600).zip
Install TWRP on Samsung Galaxy S9 [G960F/FD/F-DS/N] And S9 Plus [SM-G965F/FD/N]
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9 Plus.
- To enter into the download mode, press and hold the Volume down + Bixby + Power buttons together until you see text on the screen. Press Volume up here to enter Download mode.
- Run Odin on your PC. If you don’t already have it, download it from the link provided above and extract the zip.
- Use your USB Cable to connect your Galaxy device to your PC. You will see Odin display Added!! when your device is detected. The ID:COM Port should also turn blue. If this does not happen, you may need to check your USB drivers or the cable.
- On Odin disable everything but F.Reset Time under the Options tab. Especially make sure that Auto Reboot is not selected.
- Click on the AP button and select the downloaded TWRP image file: twrp-3.2.1-0-starlte.tar.md5 (for the Galaxy S9) or twrp-3.2.1-1-star2lte.tar.md5 (for the Galaxy S9 Plus).
- Click Start at the bottom. When the process is complete, you will see a PASS!message displayed on Odin.
Your Galaxy S9 won’t reboot automatically since we disable the Auto Reboot option. Now follow the instruction given below.
Root Galaxy S9 [G960F/FD/F-DS/N] and S9 Plus [SM-G965F/FD/N]
- If your device is still connected to the PC, do remove your device from the PC and press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons together. As soon as your device turns off, press and hold Volume up + Bixby + Power buttons to boot your device into TWRP recovery.
- Swipe to allow modifications if asked and select Wipe from the TWRP main menu. Then select Format Data and type yes.
- Go back to the TWRP menu and select Reboot > Recovery. This will reboot your device into TWRP recovery again.
- Download the DM Verity disabler, SuperSU/Magisk, and N965F_root_OEM_issue_devices.zip and transfer them to an external microSD card or USB OTG. Insert the microSD card or USB OTG into your Galaxy phone.
- From the TWRP menu select Install, and select the N965F_root_OEM_issue_devices.zip.
- This will launch an AROMA installer, where you can select your desired root method, and then select OEM Patch. Select Process with ROM flasher and MultiTool > Next > Patch for OEM Issue > Next > Do not change > Next, and so on. Remember to not select Reboot your device now.It is recommended to select OEM Patch even if you’re not sure your device has the OEM issue.
- Once the flashing of all the required stuff gets done, go back to the TWRP main menu and flash the DM Verity disabler zip similarly you did in the earlier step.
- Flash either one of SuperSU or Magisk now to root the device. Keep in mind though that Magisk hasn’t yet been confirmed to be working.
You can then go to Developer options and make sure that your device still has the OEM unlock option. Visit the source link below to make sure you get the updated patch and instructions if you are seeing this post at a later time.