There is no doubt that OnePlus is one of the best smartphone manufacturers to offer best in the market smartphone at an affordable price tag. OnePlus 5 is one of the company’s most popular and robust device in terms of hardware and latest technology trends running on company’s own OxygenOS. But being focused more on hardware, sometimes OnePlus delay the basic Android update.
Currently, the OnePlus 5 is running the Android Nougat 7.1 which is being outdated as Google has already started rolling out the Android P (Name not finalised yet). However, OnePlus has recently rolled out the OxygenOS Open Beta 6 to allow OnePlus 5 users to get the taste of the Android Oreo 8.1.
Also, OnePlus warns that the OxygenOS Open Beta version will not be as stable as the final releases that are available to all the users of OnePlus 5. So, the company does not recommend to test the update if you’re a basic user of the device or have less technical knowledge of how Android and its hardware works. However, if you’re aware of all the risks involved in installing Android 8.1 Oreo on OnePlus 5 – OxygenOS Open Beta 6 then you can proceed with the installation process that has been mentioned below.
- 1 How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on OnePlus 5 – OxygenOS Open Beta 6
How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on OnePlus 5 – OxygenOS Open Beta 6
- OxygenOS Open Beta runs the Android 8.1 Oreo
- Answer an incoming call by raising the phone – New auto pick up gesture
- General improvements and bug fixes
- Added more clock styles for ambient display
- Updated Android security patch to 2018-02
- Added new optimizations in gaming mode for immersive gaming experience including power saving and pausing adaptive brightness
- Added support to migrate application data, allowing you to switch between devices seamlessly
Things to Be Done
- Before following the post, make sure you have created the complete backup of your device and important data and saved somewhere in your PC or cloud so that in case things go wrong you will be having the option to roll the previous version back.
- Also, you should make sure that your OnePlus 5 has at least 50% or more battery so that your device does not shut down while completing the procedure mentioned below
Steps to install OxygenOS Open Beta 6 based on Android 8.1 Oreo to the OnePlus 5
- Once you have downloaded the required OxygenOS Open Beta 6 for your OnePlus 5 which is of a 1.6GB file, follow the next step.
- Once you have downloaded the zip file, connect your OnePlus 5 to the PC via a USB cable to copy the downloaded zip file to your smartphone’s root folder.
- Now in this step, go to your phone’s recovery mode by turning off your OnePlus 5 and then press Power + Volume Down button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- Once you see the OnePlus recovery mode, tap on the Install from internal storage/Install from local option in the recovery and select the downloaded zip file
- After this, click on “Install” to confirm installing the zip file
- Now, you will have to wait for a few minutes after which your smartphone will reboot automatically in order to complete the installation process.
- Once the reboot process has been completed, you will see that the Open Beta 6 on your OnePlus 5 has been installed and you will now have Android 8.1 Oreo
Now your OnePlus 5 is running the Android 8.1 Oreo-based on OxygenOS Open Beta 6. If you have any problems in following the tutorial mentioned above, feel free to comment your queries below and we will try to solve them as quickly as possible.